A Conversation with BENNY ONG
Meet acclaimed fashion designer and artist Benny Ong at Gillman Barracks' 2nd Art Day Out!
A hybrid of cross-cultural heritage and interpretations, Benny Ong's art is colourful and witty, toying with the transition between contemporary and traditional culture.
Hear how his fine art graphics cross the boundaries of art, design and couture – from his fashion legacy in the United Kingdom, to his fashion work in silk from Europe to Asia, and now as art pieces being produced in Southeast Asia with his ongoing project with weavers in Laos developing new ideas, occupational skills, weaving techniques, and jobs.
This unique opportunity is limited to ONLY 20 persons.
ABOUT BENNY ONG
As a top international couturier, Benny’s work is in the collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum and also the National Museum Singapore. Benny Ong is a pioneer since the 1970s of an exported Singapore fashion industry. His remarkable acclaim in extremely respectable collections has given a face to his birth nation.
1973 – 1979
- First internationally recognised Singaporean designer to graduate from Central St Martin’s School of Art, class of 1974
- Set up Benny Ong Ltd and presented first collection which was brought by prestigious British stores Harrods and Selfridges
- Invited to participate and became a founding member of the prestigious The London Designer Collection
- Chosen to represent Britain in the Young Designer Fashion Extravaganza in Milan organized by giant fiber conglomerate SNIA VISCOSA. The event also showcased the work of top young European designers Gianfranco Ferrè, Claude Montana and JC de Castelbajac
- Created and presented premier fashion shows twice yearly in London (London Fashion Week), Paris and New York to top international buyers and press
1980 – 1989
- Commissioned by Diana, Her Royal Highness, The Princess of Wales to design her wardrobe for her first royal tour to Australia
- Designed private collections for Her Royal Highness, The Late Princess Margaret, Her Royal Highness, Duchess of Kent and Her Royal Highness, The Queen of Jordan
- Invited and attended the annual London Fashion Week receptions hosted by Margaret Thatcher at 10 Downing Street
- Invited by the European Silk Commission to promote silk in all their major fashion shows in Europe
1990 - now
- Benny Ong has spent several years training and giving artistic breadth to weavers in Laos
- Major series of woven works made in Asia to date:
- “Abstract Dreams” exhibited at Mori Museum, Tokyo, 2006
- “Rewoven”, solo exhibition at Singapore Art Museum, 2007
- “Prince of Gowns”, selected works at National Museum Singapore, 2007
- “Peranakan”, studio collection 2010-2012
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM SGT
A Conversation with BENNY ONG Nov 7 3-4 p.m. FULL
- Venue Address
- Gillman Barracks, 5 Lock Road, #01-06, Singapore 108933 Singapore
15-minute walk from Labrador Park MRT station
THEO Arts394 Followers